Academy On The Road Training Programs
WE ARE BACK! All Academy on the Road programs are now available to schedule for local emergency services.
Learn more from the Special Announcement Flyer (PDF).
The Pennsylvania State Fire Academy, under the auspices of the Office of the State Fire Commissioner (OSFC), offers Academy on the Road (AOTR) training programs to the
emergency services. These programs are conducted by the academy's resident and adjunct instructors free of charge (tuition free depending on budget) and are available to be taught at your location to fire/rescue organizations
interested in these specialized courses.
Depending on the course, a materials or transportation fee may be required.
The academy provides qualified instructors and student materials required to teach the course at your location. The participating fire department is responsible for:
- Recruiting a minimum of 24 qualified students that meet the course prerequisites
- Providing their completed applications to the academy 15 days prior to the start of the course
course materials, and certificates will be issued by the academy to the sponsoring agency.
AOTR programs fall into one of two categories: alternative energy and fire service.
Alternative Energy Emergency Response (AEER)
Application (PDF) for AEER Course request
- Advanced Logger Rescue Training (ALRT)
- Foam - Ethanol Technician Level I (FEUT)
- Firefighting at Shale Gas Emergencies (FSGE)
- First Responder Safety Training for Natural Gas Vehicles and Fueling Stations (NGVF)
- Pipeline Emergencies Awareness Training (PEAT)
- Pipeline Emergencies Operations Training (PEOT)
- Portable Pipelines for First Responders (PPFR)
- Responding to Ethanol Incidents (RTEI)
- Transportation Rail Incident Preparedness & Response: Flammable Liquid Unit Trains (TRIPR)
- Well Site Emergency For First Responders (WEFR)
- Well Site Production Phase Emergencies (WPPE)
- Wild Well Hazardous Materials Technician (WWHMT)
- Wild Well Hazardous Materials Technician (WWHMTR)
Fire Service Academy on the Road (AOTR)
Application (PDF) for AOTR Course request
NEW: Leadership in Supervision Series
This series presents fire and EMS supervisors with the basic leadership skills and tools needed to:
- Effectively perform in the fire and EMS environment
- Successfully transition into supervisory and leadership roles
- Establish a conceptual foundation and framework for success in leadership roles by exploring creative, analytical, political, and critical thinking perspectives
Learn more from the Leadership in Supervision flyer (PDF).
Fill out and submit the Leadership in Supervision application (PDF) to apply.
With questions, contact Pennsylvania State Fire Academy's Kathy Koller at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-247-3749.
Scheduling Courses and Additional Information
If you are interested in scheduling AOTR classes for your department or in your area, please contact the academy to request a course, select course
dates, and discuss course logistical needs.
For Alternative Energy AOTR courses, please contact Harvey Boyer at 1-800-459-4096.
For Suppression AOTR courses, please contact Tom Leiter at 1-800-459-4096.
For descriptions and prerequisites of AOTR courses, see below: