Make A Plan
House fires become life-threatening in two minutes and can engulf a residence in as few as five minutes.
That's why it's so important to talk with your family about evacuation routes before a fire ever takes place.
Do your best to keep your evacuation plan simple so everyone can remember important details in the event of an emergency.
Be Sure To
More Fire Safety from Ready PA
- Review escape routes for each room.
- Try to find two ways out of every room.
- Make sure windows aren't nailed or painted shut.
- Make sure doors and windows aren't blocked.
- Check that security gratings on windows have fire-safety openings.
- Learn how to turn off your water, gas, and electricity at the main switches.
- Gas service turned off? Call your gas company to restore service. Never attempt to restore service yourself.
- More than one level to your home? Consider getting escape ladders.
- Teach family members to stay low to the floor when escaping fire.