Local Level Training Instructor Information
NEW: Local Level Instructor Application (PDF) and Instructions (PDF) for the application period of October-December 15, 2020.
The State Fire Academy is responsible for the accreditation and development of Local Level Instructors to provide a qualified cadre of instructors to instruct the many programs offered in the Local Level Training program. Educational training agencies select and hire instructors from the academy’s approved instructor list. Instructors are accredited to teach courses for which they have demonstrated that they have the experience, education and skills necessary to deliver a specific course.
Local Level instructors are classified as Non-Suppression or Suppression instructors. A third classification, Instructor Emeritus, is reserved for Local Level instructors who have served the State Fire Academy and the commonwealth for more than 25 years.
Non-Suppressions instructors are individuals who are qualified to instruct various Local Level Training curricula designated by the PSFA as non-suppression courses including hazardous materials, building construction, fire police, rescue, fire investigation, and management/command.
Suppression instructors are individuals qualified to instruct PSFA designated fire suppression courses involving live fire instruction. Suppression courses include such courses as entry level fire training, structural firefighting, aircraft firefighting, flammable and combustible liquids and gases, respiratory protection, and wildland firefighting.
Instructor Minimum Qualifications
Any emergency service responder must meet the following minimum requirements to apply for consideration to be accredited as an academy Local Level Instructor. A potential instructor candidate must:
- Be a minimum of 26 years of age.
- Possess a high school or G.E.D. diploma.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years experience in applicable emergency services work.
- Be recommended by three people; one of whom must be PSFA Local Level Instructor.
- Be physically capable of performing the minimum duties of an instructor.
- Be of such moral character as to exemplify professional decorum.
- Have successfully completed an adult education methodology course (min. 35 hours) or possess a valid PA Teacher's Certificate.
- Attend a specific train-the-trainer, when available, prior to instructing specific courses. When no specific train-the-trainer is available, applicants will submit a detailed resume for evaluation, or attend an approved course of the same, or teach initial classes under the direction of a qualified instructor.
- Have the credentials to teach courses accredited by the Dept. of Health, Dept. of Conservation of ;Natural Resources, PA State Police, or others.
- Provide a Title 34 Criminal Record Check clear of any crimes above a third degree misdemeanor.
- Provide a Title 151 Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance.
A person desiring to apply for Suppression Instructor must complete the Suppression Instructor Development (ZFID) course. People desiring to attend a ZFID course must complete and submit a Resident Application with the ZFID Prerequisite Checklist and supporting documentation attached. All applications are submitted to the PA state Fire Academy, Attention Registrar.
Local Level Training Program Resources
For specific information on the Local Level Training Program, see the information listed below.