FIRE SAFETY IN YOUR DAILY LIFE
An overwhelming number of fires occurring in America occur in our homes…..One every 45 seconds. There are time-tested ways to prevent and survive a fire. It’s not a question of luck; it’s a matter of planning ahead. Here are some general concepts about what you must do to keep from becoming a statistic.
CARING FOR CHILDREN
- Children under 5 are naturally curious about fire and many play with matches and lighters.
- Children tragically cause over 100,000 fires yearly.
- Take the mystery out of fire – Teach kids that fire is a tool, not a toy.
- If your child engages in fire-setting activity, refer him or her to a juvenile firesetter intervention program.
CARING FOR OLDER ADULTS
- Over age 65 is the fastest growing population segment.
- 1,200 senior citizens die every year in fires; many fire deaths could have been prevented.
- Home fires injure 3,000 each year.
- Smoking is a leading cause of fire deaths.
- Cooking fires are leading cause of injuries.