Smoking Fire Safety
Fires caused by smoking are the leading cause of fire deaths among the elderly.
- NEVER smoke in bed.
- Do not smoke near gas stove or oxygen.
- Do not smoke while using medications or alcohol.
- Never leave smoking materials unattended.
- Use large, deep ashtrays.
- Check furniture for discarded smoking materials.
- Soak ashes in the ashtray before discarding.
- Never throw butts in trash can or out car windows.
- Don’t smoke near gasoline, aerosols, cleaning fluid, and paint thinners.