Portable Fire Extinguishers
Portable fire extinguishers are a “band-aid” approach to fire suppression and are not intended to be used on large, uncontrolled fires. You must evaluate the conditions and determine if you can safely use a portable fire extinguisher or immediately escape the situation. Never position yourself with the fire between you and your means of escape. If you do use a portable fire extinguisher, and have extinguished a fire, never turn your back on the fire as it can flare up again unexpectedly. Back away from the fire, observing it closely
- For home use, look for portable fire extinguishers with an “ABC” rating on the label. They can be used for most home fires including ordinary combustible
- materials, flammable liquids and electrical fires.
- Put portable fire extinguishers in your kitchen, garage, basement and car in a location where they can be readily accessed.
- Learn how to operate fire extinguishers and use them on a fire. Check with your local fire department for training.
- Have fire extinguishers serviced yearly by a reputable fire extinguisher dealer.